CUTE RUBBER DUCKY CUPCAKES: FONDANT ANIMALS, CUTE FOOD DECORATION ART.April 11, 2009 at 19:42 | Posted in Cute Food Photos | Leave a comment
Sylvia & Howard
† How were you introduced to the art of “cute cooking”?
Cupcakes are all about being creative and cute! So we always try to make our cupcake decorations look cute and look good.
† What inspired your cute creation?
Everything inspires our cute creations. For example, we browse the internet, watch movies, and walk around shops. We may see a cute illustration on a birthday card or a design from a book. Yet, most of the time we try to come up with our own characters if possible.
† How did you make it?
The rubber ducky decorations on the cupcakes are made from fondant. You will need:
– Fondant (you can buy them white or pre-coloured)
– Gel Colours (if you have white fondant, use gels to dye colour)
– Edible Food Writers (optional)
– Tear-shape or Water drop shape cutter (or cut them free hand)
So what we did was:
1. Dye the fondant (use a toothpick, dip it into the gel and then transfer that to the fondant, don’t double dip, use a new toothpick all the time).
2. Knead the fondant until the colour is even.
3. Mold the fondant into the body of the duck (this took the most time getting the shape right)
4. Roll the fondant flat. Then we used a tiny tear-shaped/water-drop shape cutter to cut out the wings.
5. Roll fondant into a ball shape for the duck’s head.
6. Assemble the rubber ducky using tiny dabs of water to adhere the head and wings on the body.
7. Taking orange coloured fondant, make a tiny triangle for the duck’s beak.
8. Attach the beak onto the head.
9. Let the rubber ducky dry.
10. Using edible food writers, draw on two eyes for the rubber duck. Have the fondant rubber duck dry on powdered sugar before topping it on a cupcake!
† Any other comments or tips?
Find a material that you’re comfortable working with and simply be creative. The best part about working with food is, if you don’t like it, eat it, and start again! No one will ever know!
– For cute cupcake paper liners, candy decorations and more, visit my online store!
– To submit photos of cute food you found or made, click here.